Google is constantly updating and renewing its features to make sure users are getting the best experience. The newest Google Hotel Listing features can help you identify sustainable and environmentally friendly hotels.
This new Google Sustainability and Eco Certification is great for us because that means we can make more ethical choices when traveling in the future!
Let’s take a look at the new Google Sustainability and Eco Certification for the Hotel Listing.
You May Also Like:
Time for Shine for Sustainable Hotels
As we know many hotel chains have been moving towards a more sustainable business model. In fact, many hotel’s customers are demanding more sustainable and eco-friendly action from hotels. While many hotels are taking action for the environment, the only way to find out is through going to the website.
Now with Google’s New Hotel Listing feature, right from Google’s search results, sustainable features of the hotel can be spotted. Which is great for the hotel and the users.
Image Sourced from Nevena Ivanova’s Twitter
New Sustainability Attributes
The new features allow hotels to showcase their sustainability attractions and eco certifications.
Here are the 4 categories of sustainability that hotels can present:
- Energy Efficiency
- Water Conservation
- Waste Reduction
- Sustainable Sourcing
Under each category, Google further breaks down in specifics with rules.
This allows the data to be truthful and some even require a third party to verify.
Here is a few specific sustainability you can present under each category.
- Energy Conservation Program
- Carbon Free Energy Sources
- Energy Efficient Heating and Cooling Systems
- Energy Efficient Lighting
- Energy Efficien Thermostats
- Water Saving Sinks
- Water Saving Toilets
- Water Saving Showers
- Towel Reuse Program
- Linen Reuse Program
- Recycling Program
- Food Waste Reduction Program
- Donate Excess Food
- No Single Use Plastic Straw
- Water Bottle Filling Station
- Organic Food and Beverages
- Locally Sourced Food and Beverages
- Responsibly Sourced Seafood
- Vegan Meals
- Eco-friendly Toilettry
For more detailed information on what is included in each category and what are the rules, please check out Google’s page.
When a hotel is awarded and certified for eco-friendly practices, they are often certified with eco certification. With Google’s new feature, hotels can easily show their customers what certification they have.
Here are a few of the Eco Certification that is available, depending on where the hotel is located, there are a few different certifications:
- BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) is the world’s leading sustainability assessment method for master planning projects, infrastructure, and buildings.
- LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) is the most widely used green building rating system in the world.
- ISO 14001 Certification is a set of standards related to environmental management that exists to help organizations minimize how their operations negatively affect the environment
- Green Globe Certification focus mainly on hotel, resorts and conference area that keep safety, sustainability and security in mind.
These are just a few of the eco certifications, there are in fact many more.
With this new feature on Google’s Hotel Listing, it will make traveling sustainability and ethically much easier. As a person that can’t wait to travel, I look forward to start planning my trip with this new feature and find the best hotel for me and the environment. Hopefully, more and more hotels will start taking sustainable and ethical actions.